Tableau: Further Information About the Arria Extension
This documentation is organized as follows:
The Arria extension provides two options to access data in a dashboard:
- From a worksheet. When you select a worksheet, the extension will have access to the summarized data used by the worksheet. If the data attributes (columns) required for the narrative are not found within a single existing sheet, create a new one with the required attributes and then use that. (You can hide the new sheet if it does not add value to the visualizations.)
- From the Underlying Data source. When you have a summary table or a small transactional dataset (less than 500 KB), choose this option to supply data to your narratives.
If you are configuring an out-of-the-box narrative (the Configure Narrative option), when you choose Underlying Data from the data-source dropdown, select the attributes you want by clicking the checkboxes.
If you are creating a custom narrative (the Create Custom Narrative option), you must first click Show Data Fields. Then select the required fields by clicking the checkboxes.
When using a worksheet as the data source for a narrative, and filters are applied to the selected worksheet or for the data source, the narrative must be responsive to the filters. Therefore, when you are using the Underlying Data option, you must make sure that the filter attributes are selected in the underlying dataset.
To make sure the filter attributes are selected appropriately:
1. In the Filters section, find the filter you need to verify.
2. Click the down arrow, then select Apply to Worksheets > All Using This Data Source.
3. Repeat Step 2 as necessary for any other filters applied to the selected worksheet or data source.
When using a worksheet as the data source for narrative, if you make any changes to the worksheet (e.g. adding or removing attributes), you must reload the worksheet in the Arria extension.
To reload the worksheet:
1. In the Arria extension, at the top-right corner below the close icon, click the down arrow.
2. Select Reload.
For more information, see:
Configuring a narrative
Extending a narrative
Creating a custom narrative
Arria’s showcase project for Tableau – Out-of-the-Box Narrative
Arria’s showcase project for Tableau – Custom Narrative